Carlow Methodists have continued to worship in this church for more 100 years. On April 15th 1998 they celebrated their centenary.
From the time of the arrival of Methodism in Carlow the Methodist community worshiped at various locations in Carlow town. On April 15th 1898 opening services were held in the present church and weekly services continue to be held in the church to this day.
The Methodist movement was founded in the 18th century by John Wesley. It was founded to bring about a reformation within the Church of England. However the movement became a separate church and today it has millions of adherents worldwide.
Wesley first visited Ireland in 1747. He became a regular visitor in the following years. He visited Carlow where he preached and held services on six occasions. His first visit to Carlow was in 1765. He paid his final visit to Carlow in 1789 when he was 66 years old.
Source: On This Day www.otd.ie
The church is open only in Sunday 10:00 – 11:00.
Visit Facebook page of Carlow Methodist Church
Location of Carlow Methodist Church: