Carlow Courthouse is a judicial facility on Dublin Road in Carlow Town.
We will translate the word Courthouse (sometimes spelled court house) as a building that is home to the local court and often the county board. The term commonly used in English-speaking countries is synonymous with the term “Palace of Justice” or “Palais de Justice”.
Courthouse should therefore be presentable, stately, and impressive. And the building of the Carlow Courthouse is certainly impressive and presentable. It is difficult to believe that it is a courthouse in a small Irish town.
Carlow Courthouse is widely regarded as one of the best examples of ancient Greek architecture in Ireland.
What`s more, it was built on the example of the Llissus temple in Athens. So, the building gives the impression of a temple with eight Ionic columns set on a high pedestal.
Moreover, Carlow Courthouse is one of the finest 19th-century buildings in Ireland and a significant example of European Neo-Classicism.
Besides, it was designed at the end of 1820 by the famous architect William Morrison. The building of the courthouse was made possible by the generous patronage of the Bruen family of Oak Park. Construction cost £ 30,000. It was not a small fortune at the beginning of the 19th century.
Apparently, this building was originally supposed to be built in County Cork. But the plans in favor of Carlow were mistaken.
For decades, Carlow Courthouse has served as a place to organize major public events.
An early example in 1929 was the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the award of Catholic emancipation.
The whole building is surrounded by high iron railings. Moreover, they are crowned with a replica of a Roman ax – fasces – a Roman symbol of justice.
At the top of the stairs at the front of the building is a Russian cannon – dating back to the Crimean War in the 1800s. It was handed over to County Carlow by the then-British Minister of War. So. it commemorates all Irish officers and soldiers who died in the conflict.
Finally, the courthouse was refurbished in 2002 and continues to be used as a judicial facility.
So, the courthouse was officially opened by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform Mr. John O’Donoghue T.D, on 21st March 2002.
Just opposite to Carlow Courthouse is located The Irishmans Hotel, where George Bernard Show stayed in 1918.
For more information visit the official website: courts.ie/carlow-courthouse
Location of Carlow Courthouse: