St. Andrew’s Church is a Roman Catholic Church located in the town of Muine Bheag (also known as Bagenalstown) in County Carlow. Muine Bheag is a Parish in the Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin.
Built to replace the old Catholic Church at Dunleckney, St Andrew’s Church opened on Christmas Day 1820 on a site provided by the Newton family.
Constructed with Carlow granite, it is designed in the gothic revival style. Perhaps the church`s most distinctive feature is its elegant needle spire, which was added in 1890.
The steeple of St Andrew’s Church is one of the great landmarks of Bagenalstown.
Other interesting attributes include the church`s large granite fonts, beautifull wall-mounted memorials and the elaborate stained-glass window located behind the altar.
St Andrew’s was built by Rev. Michael Prendergast who is interred within the church and its design is attributed Thomas Alfred Cobden, the famous architect responsible for other notable buildings in the Carlow area including Duckett`s Grove Historic House and Carlow Cathedral.