The early 19th-century Scots Church in Carlow town is the county’s largest Presbyterian church. It is located at Athy Road in Carlow town. And just opposite there is a Carlow Methodist Church.
Scots Churches are very rare, only 4 known to be in existence in Ireland (two in Dublin, one in Cobh, one in Carlow).
Scots’ Church in Carlow town is a three bay church hall disigned by the architect Thomas Alfred Cobden in 1818. Its compact form and simple design is articulated by a font elevation of classical composition.
The foundation stone for Carlow Scots’ Church was laid by Mr. C. Butler, sovereign of the town of Carlow, on the 18th June, 1818 and completed by September 1818. The church was opened for worship by the Rev. James Homer of Dublin on the 12th September, 1819. The first minister, the Rev. James Morgan, was ordained for Carlow on the 21st June, 1820. Scots’ Church has continued to function as a Presbyterian meeting house since then.
The church is open every Sunady at 11.15am
Visit official website: www.carlowscotspc.ie
Location of Carlow Presbyterian Church (Scots’ Church):