The Liberty Tree in Carlow is an impressive fountain off Hanover Street in the town centre.
The Liberty Tree is a commemorative sculpture which was commissioned by Carlow Local Aurthorities to mark the Bicentenary of the 1798 Rebellion.
The sculpture is the work of Dublin born and internationally renowned sculptor John Behan who had worked as an engineer in Carlow Sugar factory at an earlier point of his career.
The sculpture honours the more than 640 rebels who were massacred 25th May in 1798 in the Battle of Carlow and who are buried in the Croppy Grave in Graiguecullen.
It is made of bronze and set on a circular base with fountain. The sculpture features a number of macabre skeletons arranged around the tree shaped outline.
The Liberty Tree is a prominent and well-known landmark in the centre of Carlow town. Every year, ceremony of turning on of the Christmas Lights in Carlow, takes place here.
Location of The Liberty Tree: