St Dymphna’s Hospital (formerly Carlow Lunatic Asylum) is a psychiatric hospital located in Carlow, County Carlow, Ireland.
The hospital, which was designed by Francis Johnston, opened as the Carlow District Lunatic Asylum in 1832. It became Carlow Mental Hospital in 1925 and, having been re-named St. Dympna’s Hospital, after St. Dympna, the patron saint of mental illness, in 1958, it was taken over by the Department of Health in 1971. After the introduction of deinstitutionalisation in the late 1980s the hospital went into a period of decline. Kelvin Grove, a modern residential unit for adult clients with learning difficulties, opened on the site in 2008. The main hospital closed in October 2011. Services include out-patient clinics, day care facilities, addiction counselling, and a community hostel. – Wikipedia
The hospital is situated in extensive grounds between the Athy Road and the Old Dublin Road. There is an old church in the grounds of St Dymphna’s Hospital. The church is at presented being converted into the County Carlow Military Museum.
Location of St. Dympna’s Hospital: