Panoramic Rudkin’s Mill is located on the River Barrow, in Bagenalstown (Muine Bheag), County Carlow.
Reputedly the first mill in Bagenalstown is now in ruins.
So, the Rudkin after whom the mill is named came to the area, about the year 1680. Over the following 30 years, he is reputed to have built this mill and a distillery a short distance away.
The Mill was built by the Rudkin family in 1690 to process grain which was transported by river. Originally the Mill was connected to the town but the construction of the mill race for Lodge Mills, further down the towpath, left the Mill on an island.
The Rudkin family emigrated to America and started a foodstuffs company Pepperidge Farm, which developed into a nationwide business with over 4000 employees.
Source dashboard in Bagenalstown.
So, the present ruin of Rudkin’s Mill consists of buildings dating from the 17th c to the early 20th
c. The oldest section (17th c) faces the river bank, with the later (18th to 20th c) extensions on the downstream side. The original mill headrace and storage area upstream was incorporated into the canal in 1830. However the stretch along the osiery bank is thought to be the bank of the original headrace. The tail race below the mill still flows into the River Barrow along its original course.
Location of Rudkin’s Mill: