Tullow is the second largest town after Carlow town in County Carlow.
In Irish An Tulach, meaning ‘The Mound’, formerly Tulach Ó bhFéidhlim.
It is a small market town located on the River Slaney Valley in the midst of rich, fertile agricultural land. It is where the N81 road intersects with the R725. So, it is located ten miles east of Carlow.
Moreover, it is known locally as a granite town because of its magnificent stone approach roads as well as its granite public buildings.
In the center of the town in the Market square stands a statue of Father John Murphy.
Father John Murphy was one of the leaders of the 1798 Rebellion, who was captured near Tullow and executed in the Market Square on 2 July. There is also a small museum with information about this period and another local history.
What`s more, Tullow Museum features a splendid collection of artifacts reflecting local history. In particular, Fr. Murphy’s connection with the town, including what are alleged to be his last vestments. The Museum is housed in an attractive, stone-built, former Methodist church at the River Slaney Bridge.
Tullow is also the ancestral home of the famous Wolseley family.
Viscount Wolseley was one of Britain`s most important military leaders. And Frederick York Wolseley, who gave his family name to the Wolseley car. Then, in 1994 the estate was sold to the Morrissey family who developed the current four-star Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa, and 18-hole championship golf course. Now it is one of Ireland’s top Luxury Resorts.
Besides, there is a Tullow Parish Church of the Most Holy Rosary. This church was built by Bishop Daniel Delany in 1805. And the fine tower and spire were added in 1833. It is a catholic church with a granite ashlar Gothic Revival tower having a traceried belfry, pinnacles, and needle spire.
St. Columba’s Church appears to occupy the site of the original Anglo-Norman Parochial Church.
It was formed part of a complex that included Tullow Castle. Built-in 1830-31, the current St. Columba’s Church is the third of three churches to have existed on this site. Moreover, it is a four-bay Gothic Revival building designed by Thomas Cobden who also designed Carlow Cathedral.
Also, in the heart of town is situated the famous Tara Arms. It is a family-run Bar & Restaurant, in existence for the last 150 years, and is lucky enough to enjoy a very healthy local patronage.
The other attractions in Tullow are Bishop Daniel Delany Museum, The Abbey Graveyard, Tullow Bridge, Water Bailiff`s Hut, Tullow Courthouse, and Tullow Town Park.
Ring of the Rath is about 6 km east of town in County Wicklow. It is one of the largest and most impressive stone hillforts in Ireland.